Moderator: Lancom-Systems Moderatoren
LCOS Software Release 8.00
for LANCOM Routers and Wireless LAN Access-Points
Copyright (c) 2002-2010 LANCOM Systems GmbH, Wuerselen (Germany)
LANCOM Systems GmbH does not take any guarantee and liability for software not developed, manu-factured or distributed by LANCOM Systems GmbH, especially not for shareware and other extraneous software.
LANCOM Systems GmbH
Adenauerstrasse 20 / B2
Table of contents
2. Known Issues
3. New Features, Changes and History
LCOS („LANCOM Operating System“) is the operating system for all Wireless LAN Access Points and Routers. In the context of the hardware given by the products the at a time latest LCOS version is available for all LANCOM products and is available free of charge for dowload from LANCOM Systems.
This document describes the innovations within LCOS software release 8.00, as well as the changes since release 7.82
Warning Hint – Backing up the current configuration
Before upgrading the firmware to LCOS 8.00 it is essential to backup the configuration of your router. Due to extensive features it is not possible to downgrade to a previous firmware without using the backup configuration.
Please see the reference manual for instructions on how to backup the router configuration.
If you want to upgrade devices which are only accessible via router connections or WLAN bridges, please keep in mind to upgrade the remote device first and the local device afterwards.
Note when updating Central Site Components
We strongly recommend updating productive systems only after internal tests in client environment. Despite intense internal and external quality assurance procedures possibly not all risks can be eliminated by LANCOM Systems.
Note when using managed Access Points
Prior to managing a LANCOM accesspoint using a WLAN controller, you have to upgrade your access point with the latest converter. The corresponding converter file can be found in your device’s download directory on the LANCOM homepage. The converter upload is similar to a firmware upgrade.
Note when using certificates
Prior to loading certificates into the LANCOM you must install the current converter. The appropriate converter file can be found in your device’s download directory on the LANCOM homepage. Flashing the converter file works similar to a firmware upgrade.
Note when using converter firmwares
You will need enough free memory to use a firmware 6.0 and newer in your LANCOM 15x1, 1611+, 821+ and DSL/I-10+, as well as for LCOS 8.0 in a LANCOM XAC.
Due to the implementation of several new features within the current build of the firmware, it is no longer possible to store two main firmware versions side by side. To gain more free space for the current version, it is now necessary to upload a converter firmware into your device. The converter-firmware has a much smaller size, so that it is now possible to store the main release of the firmware besides the converter-firmware.
This setup is only necessary once for a single device and is done with the so-called converter-firmware (see readme.pdf of the affected devices).
After having flashed the converter-firmware the firmsave function of the LANCOM device is available only on a limited scale. The update to a newer firmware is furthermore possible. However, in case of an update failure the LANCOM will only work with a minimal-firmware which allows just local access to the device. Any extended functionality, in particular remote administration, is not possible when running the minimal-firmware.
Note on Dynamic VPN registration
By reason of patent you have to register the functionality „Dynamic VPN“ with IP address transmission over ISDN. This operating mode is usually required when you configure a VPN tunnel with dynamic IP addresses on both sides without dynamic DNS services.
Any other Dynamic VPN operation mode (e.g. transmitting the IP address via ICMP, provoking a callback etc.) does not require registration.
The registration process is fully anonymous - no personal or company data will be transmitted.
The registration of the Dynamic VPN option requires administrator rights on the LANCOM device.
Registration with LANconfig
When scanning the device (e.g. right after program start) LANconfig automatically recognizes devices which have to be activated. After confirming the arising hint LANconfig automatically transmits solely the device’s serial number to the LANCOM Systems registration server. The registration code is automatically transmitted back, thus the option will be activated. The state of this procedure is visible in LANconfig.
Registration with WEBconfig
For the registration with WEBconfig the serial number of the device is required. You can find this information on the bottom of your device.
Using WEBconfig you will find a link on the first page which leads you to the LANCOM Systems registration server. Here you must enter your device’s serial number and -optional- your e-mail address. After transmitting the data you will receive a registration code for the option.
To load this code into your device, please proceed as follows:
Log in to the device with administrator rights. Select “Enable Software Option”, which is placed on the entry page. On the following page enter the registration code and confirm by selecting “Apply”.
Remarks regarding the usage of VoIP options
VoIP options for LANCOM 1821 Wireless ADSL are dicontinued with LCOS 7.20. The final version containing the VoIP Call Manager is LCOS 6.32.
As from LCOS 7.5x support for VoIP options for the devices LANCOM 1511 Wireless DSL and 1521 Wireless ADSL is discontinued. The final version containing the VoIP Call Manager is LCOS 7.30.
For the „VoIP ready“ routers LANCOM 1711 VPN, 1721 VPN and 1811 Wireless DSL support for the subsequently installed VoIP option will be discontinued with LCOS version 7.56. If you want to continue using your VoIP option, please do only use LCOS versions up to and including 7.54.
For T-Systems Business LAN R800+ VoIP functionality is discontinued in LCOS 7.60
LCOS 7.70 is the final version supporting VoIP options for the remaining „VoIP ready“ devices.
Remark for device specific support of the current LCOS version
LCOS 8.00 does no longer support the following devices:
- LANCOM 1511 Wireless
- LANCOM 1521 ADSL Wireless
- LANCOM 821 ADSL/ISDN
- LANCOM 1610 VPN
- LANCOM 1611 Office
- LANCOM 1620 VPN
- LANCOM 1621 ADSL/ISDN
- LANCOM 7011 VPN
- LANCOM 3050/3550 Wireless
2. Known Issues
Latest support notes and known issues regarding the current LCOS version can be found in the download area of our website http://www.lancom-systems.eu/Common-Sup ... .64.0.html
3. New features, Changes and History
LCOS changes 8.80.0124 RC1 -> 8.00.0149 RC2
Bugfixes / Changes:
- New accesspoints can be assigned to a profile in the WLC using a wizard
- Support for DFS (ESTI 301 893 v1.5) for radar pulse detection
- Manual rule creation was customized for the case the remote station gets an IP address from the network which is configured as target network in the firewall
- A monitoring job checks the UMTS module of the LANCOM 1751 UMTS and resets it if it does not report all necessary COM ports
- Correct masquerading of VPN packets, if the LANCOM was configured as config mode client
- A configuration can be uploaded to a password-free LANCOM without errors even if a password is still set in LANconfig
- If the VPN gateway is part of the remote network, the VPN tunnel can be established without configuring a particular host route for the VPN gateway
- Corrected detection of the index column of an SNMP table
- LCOS can be uploaded to devices which are not registered for VPN
- Telnet/SSH client can be used with TACACS+
- SNMPwalk does no longer skip columns
- Necessary firewall rules are created when updating the content filter
- The USB interface supports partitioned data storage mediums (FAT) for automatic loading of LCOS files, configuration data, scripts and for the HTTP fileserver
- Accelerated configuration upload via USB
- Reworked performance statistics output for the content filter
LCOS changes 7.82.0020 Release -> 8.00.0124 RC1
- Loadbalancing functionality for WLAN controllers, too
- Accesspoint channel load can be monitored via WLC
- New consistent MIB for LANCOM L-32x series and Wireless LAN controllers, which can be obtained via LANCOM
- RADIUS accounting per WLAN-SSID and configuration of the SSID assignment per WLAN controller
- With VPN Pathfinder VPN packets are encapsulated in SSL
- Implementation of the Content Filter (optional for appropriate router models)
- The LANCOM device sends an early message before a license expires
- Alternative boot configurations can be stored in the LANCOM
- Implementation of telnet- and SSH clients with new function right in the admin table
- Support for USB memory devices for USB setup, Public Spot- and Content Filter option (lodging of HTML documents)
- Automatic LCOS- and configuration upload from USB memory devices (USB setup)
- Files on a LANCOM-mounted USB stick can be used by the internal http server
- The bootlog is saved compressed to memory
- An alternative DHCP server can be specified for DHCP forwarding
Bugfixes / Changes:
- WLC-communicated fixed IP addresses and VLAN settings are completely adopted, even if the management VLAN is not 1
- IP addresses are shown correctly in firewall logs
- An appropriate timeserver can be added in WEBconfig
- No ARP requests are sent for non-configured gateways (IP: 0.0.0.0) in the IP parameter list
- A cancelled telnet session does no longer deny access
- Checksums are displayed correctly in the VPN packet trace
- Incoming PPTP connections can be established using DNS names
- A RADIUS authentication can happen through a PPTP tunnel
- Incoming PPTP connections are logged to PPTP statistics only after successful connection establishment
- The PublicSpot wizard does no longer lead to an LCOS watchdog.
- Simplified Dial-In using certificates can be used with tagged default routes, too
- The Public Spot Wizard can be set as function right in the administrator table
If you want to upgrade the firmware of your device to a new version, please install the latest LANtools first. Before running the firmware-upload you should save the router configuration to a file. After that you can use LANconfig to load the latest LCOS-version into the device.
In principle, we suggest upgrading the firmware of your device only if you are in need of the latest features.
Please note that different firmware files might be available for your device. Further information can be found in the file README.PDF in the download area of our homepage.
Dr.House hat geschrieben:Dr. House: Du bist geheilt. Steh auf und wandle.
Patient: Sind Sie geisteskrank?
Dr. House: In der Bibel sagen die Leute schlicht "Ja, Herr" und verfallen dann ins Lobpreisen.